The Met Office are recruiting for a Project Manager.
Our reward package
The Met Office is recruiting for a Project Manager based at Exeter.
As our Project Manager, the starting salary will be £30,932 with opportunities to progress to £33,925 over time. New joiners to the Met Office will start on the salary band minimum.
Our total reward package is potentially worth up to £44,036 per annum, which includes basic salary, potential corporate bonus, employer pension contributions.
We also offer:
- Outstanding Civil Service Pension
- Flexible hours and homeworking
- Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 32.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) after 5 years
- Option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave
- Cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Access to discounted shopping on a range of retail, leisure and lifestyle categories
We are the Met Office, the national meteorological service for the UK. We provide critical weather services and world-leading climate science, helping people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive.
Our services are delivered through exceptional scientific, technological and operational expertise. We have a team of excellent people, working to deliver extraordinary impact, making us one of the most trusted forecasters in the world.
Our values - it's who we are:
- We're a force for good
- We're experts by nature
- We live and breathe it
- We're better together
- We keep evolving
As a Project Manager you will be responsible for the whole project life-cycle: including but not limited to agreeing deliverables, managing budgets, monitoring resource requirements, liaising with internal or external stakeholders, and you'll remain customer focused in all that you do.
The key duties are:
- Agree the Project Scope, define requirements, identify deliverables, and plan the activities needed to deliver the required outcomes, using professional project management practices and documentation within the Met Office project management framework.
- Direct and motivate the project teams to ensure successful completion of tasks in line with the project plan and required quality standards.
- Monitor, verify and forecast project progress and finances, initiating, and agreeing corrective action when necessary; understanding the impacts of those actions.
- Build relationships and communicate with all stakeholders, lead on the establishment of appropriate governance arrangements.
- Identify, analyse, evaluate and prioritise risks and help ensure that benefit realisation is monitored throughout the project life-cycle and that plans are in place post-project to ensure continued successful benefit delivery.
- Identify lessons learnt during projects and initiate changes to ensure best practice for future projects
- Report progress to the project board, project executives and senior stakeholders
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Prince2 Practitioner and/or APM (Association for Project Management) Certificate or equivalent project related experience. Experience of Agile is advantageous or demonstrating a desire to undertake training in the future.
- Proven experience of managing a number of business change projects, from start to finish with a track record of delivering on time and to customers' requirements.
- A proven ability to manage issues and recommend solutions through formal and informal channels, securing effective outcomes.
- Proven ability to co-ordinate multiple activities and work streams, handling shifting demands and priorities, to deliver a customer requirement or business benefit.
- Excellent communication skills, with a proven track record of successful liaison with stakeholders at all levels, including third parties such as suppliers or Public Sector Bodies.
- Evidence of having managed or played a lead role in a team delivering successful business change
- Experience of using financial reporting and planning tools and of accurate financial management of a project or work package.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of procurement processes using Find a Tender or Government Frameworks such as G-Cloud.
- Experience of developing project schedules using product-based planning techniques and dependency networks ideally using project planning software such as MS Project.
- Knowledge or experience applying Change Management Methodologies.
- Evidence of mentoring or coaching other team members in a project management environment.
How to apply and additional information
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Closing date: 30th June 2021 with interviews commencing from 19th July 2021. We update all applicants once the vacancy has closed and applications have been reviewed.
At present, all interviews are taking place remotely via Microsoft Teams.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from those with all protected characteristics.
We recognise that Great Minds Don't Think Alike and are committed to being a more diverse and inclusive organisation. We are a Disability Confident, Mindful Employer and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness, and open competition.
If you are considering applying and need assistance to do so, please contact us via . You can request adjustments either within our application form or via email.
We offer disabled applicants the option of requesting their application is considered under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme. To be invited to interview/assessment under this scheme, your application must meet the minimum criteria for the role. Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity.
We can only accept applications from those eligible to live and work in the UK - please refer to GOV.UK for information. Our roles sometimes require higher level Security Clearance, which generally requires living in the UK for at least three out of the last five years, but applicants not meeting this criteria may be considered.