As the Publisher, you will oversee all aspects of commissioning and producing books associated with Wellcome Collection, negotiating and overseeing collaborations with publishers, commissioning written and visual material, overseeing editorial, production and distribution processes.
You will take ownership of the Wellcome Book Prize strategy and identify future changes: review successes, oversee judges, marketing, an external PR agency and associated events.
Manage/recruit a team of two permanent members of staff as well as consultants and temporary staff where appropriate.
The team works primarily with publishing partners to produce books that explore big questions and challenge how readers think and feel about health and being human. Wellcome Collection is an imprint of Profile Books and work with Thames & Hudson on illustrated titles based on our collections.
These partnerships have led to exhibition book successes like Forensics by Val McDermid and standalone books such as Medieval Bodies by Jack Hartnell, The Book of Human Emotions by Tiffany Watt Smith, and The Sick Rose by Richard Barnett.
Wellcome Collection is a free museum and library that aims to challenge how we think and feel about health. Through exhibitions, collections, live programming, digital, broadcast and book publishing, we create opportunities for people to think deeply about the connections between science, medicine, life and art.
Experience & Skills
The ideal applicant will have:
- A passion for books, culture and Wellcome Collection's work
- Demonstrable experience of commissioning and editing ambitious, successful non-fiction publications, with accountability staff and budget management.
- Knowledge or experience of working with museums / the cultural sector
- Strong connections with non-fiction authors, agents and publishing industry
- Proven interest in science, humanities and artsAbility to build effective, strong working relationships and engage stakeholders at all levels
- Strategic and creative thinker
- Intellectual and visual creativity
Education & Qualifications
A degree or qualification in a relevant subject
To apply please submit your CV along with a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and motivation for applying. We will consider applications for both full time and part time hours.