S&T MANAGER – Mental Wellbeing
S&T MANAGER – Mental Wellbeing
We believe that Brands with Purpose Grow, People with Purpose Thrive, and Companies with Purpose Last. Unilever has a simple but clear purpose – to make sustainable living commonplace.
Foods & Refreshment is one of the three Divisions of Unilever, and aims to delight consumers with foods, beverages and ice-cream that “Taste Good, Feel Good, and are a Force for Good”, with brands like Knorr, Hellmann's, Ben & Jerry's, Magnum, Lipton and many more.
To support our purpose and delight our consumers, innovations are key. Innovations build on Science and Technology to address needs of today and inspire innovation for the future.
The Foods and Refreshment Science and Technology (F&R S&T) team is responsible to develop new technologies and insights that lead to sustainable competitive advantage across our Foods, Ice-cream and Beverages Categories. We do this through strong business partnering and working in a vast network or ecosystem of academic and commercial partners to leverage the knowledge and expertise of external partners.
Aligned to the Unilever ambition to “improve people’s health, confidence and well-being”, the Future Health & Wellness team (in F&R S&T) leverage ecosystems to bring the outside in, building the scientific understanding and translating that for the benefit of our brands via substantiated products and claims. The team is spread across two of Unilever’s R&D sites, at Wageningen (NL) https://www.unilever.com/about/innovation/hive/ and Colworth (UK) https://www.unilever.co.uk/about/innovation/on-the-map/colworth-uk/, with those based at the two locations working seamlessly together.
Mental wellbeing (mood, sleep, stress and cognition) is an emerging science area. As such, we are looking to employ a research scientist with experience in this area and the ability to apply this to the benefit of consumers via food and beverage products.
The successful candidate will play a leading role in defining, developing and implementing the strategy and program in the mental wellbeing area to deliver novel innovations in areas of strategic interest to the F&R categories and brands.
The job holder will be part of a small internal team that works almost entirely through external collaborations with suppliers, SMEs and academic groups.
They will act as a science area expert within Unilever in the area of mental wellbeing and keep up to date on advances in the area, using their ecosystem network to address relevant unanswered questions and apply that knowledge internally to innovations that benefit consumers.
- Leadership of the mental wellbeing science area and how this relates to benefit areas relevant to Unilever’s Foods & Refreshment business
- Define, shape and execute the program and its content
- Contribute to the workstreams of other team members
- Be the science lead in internal cross-functional teams
- Build and maintain external networks to engage and work with external partners and drive delivery using an outside-in approach. Create an ecosystem strategy with increased leverage of external funding
- Translate the science into innovations (products, claims and communication) to benefit consumers. Provide expert scientific support for close-to-market innovation projects and generating ideas and technology solutions to land in longer term innovation pipeline
- Effective communication of the science (embody the ‘activist scientist’). Ability to translate the science into meaningful messages and content understandable by a variety of audiences across the organization, and externally, including non-scientists and non-experts.
- Network effectively with internal colleagues both within F&R and in the other Unilever Divisions to ensure both internal mental wellbeing capability and related external relationships are effectively leveraged
All About You
- MSc or higher (ideally PhD level) in relevant subject such as psychology, neuroscience, nutrition and health,
- Proven experience of leading research programs in mental wellbeing approaches for consumer benefits
- Evidence of translating science into consumer relevant propositions and claims (ideally in the food and beverage sector)
- Established network (academic and commercial) in the mental wellbeing/nutritional psychiatry/neuroscience area
- Demonstrated ability to keep abreast of new developments and opportunities and able to harness in business-relevant ways
- Experience in leading external partnerships and working effectively in complex and diverse ecosystems
- Good influencing and communication skills; ability to convince and defend own agenda in front of internal and external (senior) stakeholders
- Ability to use scientific and technical judgment to guide team activities and program direction
- Ability to work in cross-disciplinary teams and in multi-cultural environments, utilising an established network
- Intellectual property awareness and ability to manage strategy
- Fluent in English
- Good digital skills; ability to use various software for data manipulation and analysis an advantage
- Team working
- Agile working
- Solution oriented mindset
- Engagement and creativity
- Effective networking
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability