Senior Airline Strategy Manager
This is a chance to build your career in an organisation that matters to millions. To join a city within a city – to create great experiences for the 210,000 (and counting) passengers who pass through our doors each day. Life with us means exploring unlimited opportunities. And making a real difference to people who are travelling to all sorts of places for all sorts of different reasons.
It's an exciting time to be part of the Heathrow team. In June 2018, Parliament gave us the go ahead for Expansion. This isn’t just about a new runway. It’s about transforming the UK’s hub airport and securing the UK’s future place in the world.
This landmark decision will generate economic growth benefits worth up to £187 billion and create up to 180,000 new jobs across the UK. What’s more, it’ll pave the way for new domestic routes and up to 40 new international destinations. Construction will begin in 2021, but the work to make this huge project happen begins now. Which is why we’re looking for a whole host of people to join our Expansion department in areas from Finance and Airline Strategy to Community & Stakeholders.
Join us as an Senior Airline Strategy Manager and you’ll have huge scope to make your mark on what will be one of Europe’s largest infrastructure projects. You’ll shape its success in all sorts of ways, focusing in particular on our local communities, a more sustainable future, our millions of passengers, businesses in the UK and beyond, and all of your colleagues working at the airport.
As well as competitive salaries, we’re committed to providing a whole host of great benefits that make this an even more rewarding place to work. They include an excellent pension scheme, life assurance, access to private health insurance and, in IT, flexible working. We actively try to create part-time opportunities and use remote technologies to enable people to work from home.
Expansion will only succeed with airline engagement. Heathrow needs to engage with airlines on the masterplan, regulation, the public engagement on expansion and, above all, the business case.
The Airline Strategy team is responsible for:
- Delivering a network strategy that delivers Heathrow's expansion objectives
- Supporting a masterplan that works for airlines and working with the Programme team on evaluating assembly options.
- Managing bilateral engagement and commercial negotiations with airlines, both home and away, new to Heathrow and those already operating here.
These tasks are made more complex by the range of interests, and the regulatory and competitive dynamics, that exist between airlines and the airline and airport. In the phase of the expansion programme leading up to planning consent and a regulatory settlement this is likely to become a major focus for both sides.
The role is therefore to support the Head of Airline Strategy in managing these responsibilities and leading on one or more of the deliverables outlined above. This role has specific responsibility for implementing the network strategy and owning the commercial engagement plan, and other strategic activities related to these. In doing so, the Senior Airline Strategy Manager is expected to support the management of the overall team, including line management of an Airline Strategy Manager.
Your role will involve:
- Delivering the Bilateral Airline Engagement Strategy, including content creation, and including becoming the “Account Manager” of key airlines.
- Becoming a key contributor to internal working groups on airline strategy and commercial engagement with airlines.
- Implementing the 3R Network Strategy, including successor strategies, input into wider business workstreams and communication with key stakeholders (including shareholders).
- Managing the execution of the Commercial Engagement Strategy with all airlines.
- Supporting commercial negotiations with airlines.
- Line management of Airline Strategy Manager.
We’re looking for people who have:
- Knowledge of Heathrow, our expansion proposals and priorities.
- Experience and understanding of airline economics, commercials and airline decision making processes.
- Highly numerate, with experience and competence in Excel, PowerPoint and quantative modelling or analysis – including experience using key airline/aviation databases (eg. Airport IS, OAG, RDC, Infare Altus).
- Experience in writing and implementing strategies and strategic recommendations.
- Experience or qualifications for project management, meeting management and stakeholder engagement including keeping robust audit trails.
- Experience and understanding of airport regulation at Heathrow.
- Experience of consultation or engagement processes.
Join us, and you’ll have everything you need to shine and explore the countless career destinations that are available here.
As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We believe that diverse talent makes us stronger – not least because we welcome all sorts of passengers from all corners of the globe, every single day. At Heathrow, we’re driven by inclusivity and we celebrate individuality.