Senior Android Developer
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Edesix (a Motorola Solutions company) design and produce a range of body-worn video solutions and our VideoManager application to organisations around the world and across a range of industries including: Police and Security services, Local government, Security, Retail and Transport. To help drive our rapid growth, we are looking for a Senior Android Developer on a permanent contract and based at our central Edinburgh office. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, where you will be exposed to the latest technologies and where your hard work and dedication will be rewarded, then joining our team could be your best career move. Please note, we can only accept candidates that are authorized to work in the UK and willing to work full-time from our Edinburgh offices. All candidates will be subject to HMG BPSS employment checks.
The role is for a senior software developer, working as part of the Edinburgh Android Software Development Team, developing specialised camera Android platforms. This role is for a senior member of the team focussing on Android applications, with significant commercial software development experience and skills.
The principal duties of the roles are:
● Architect our embedded Android application
● Build team of 2-3 developers to develop, test & support the application
● Participation, as a Senior Developer, in a Scrum team
● Providing technical leadership within Scrum team, mentoring junior members
● Designing, developing and implementing new software functionality.
● Fixing defects which are found with existing software
● Identifying and implementing appropriate unit testing.
● Writing technical documentation for software developed.
● Providing input into user interface design.
● Contributing to Scrum processes and ceremonies
These tasks require:
● Understanding the architecture and design of specific product suites.
● Being accountable for the architecture and design for complex, critical areas of development.
● Being accountable for the long term impact of architectural changes with respect to future adaptability and maintainability.
● Keeping abreast of the latest technologies in the market and quickly picking up new technologies as and when required.
● Investigating capabilities and functionality of systems and technologies our software interacts with.
● Understanding the Scrum framework, and contributing to the Scrum processes and ceremonies.
Academic and Technical Qualifications:
● A formal qualification (Degree) in Computing Science or equivalent experience with a high level of academic achievement.
Other technical expertise, experience and knowledge
● Significant experience of development of complex mobile apps for Android
● Significant demonstrated experience with industry best-practices, including Agile methodologies, test driven development and code reviews.
● Significant experience architecting, designing and implementing large pieces of reliable, scalable complex software.
● Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other developers.
● Significant experience with a range of the following core technologies:
* Java and the Android SDK. Designing, implementing and maintaining an Android application codebase
* Familiarity with Android media services, cameras, audio and video standards.
* Experience in building efficient Android user interfaces to a specification
* Standard Git workflow
* Jenkins or other CI systems
● Experience of the following technologies would also be of benefit
* Embedded (headless) Android development
* HTTP family of protocols and technologies (JSON, MQTT, WebSockets, etc.).
* Android platform building and management.
● Proven ability to work as part of an agile software development team - working in a constrained environment to very tight timescales.
● Technical leadership and mentoring of other developers.
● Proven ability to work in a relatively autonomous environment.
● Proven ability to learn new technologies quickly.
● Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
● Analytical / problem solving abilities.
● Ability to critically review work done.
● Attention to detail.
‘We are an equal opportunities employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.’
CONNECT WITH A CAREER THAT MATTERS
We’re dedicated to designing and delivering the mission-critical ecosystem our public safety & enterprise customers refer to as their lifeline – mission-critical communications, software, video and services. Our drive for continuous innovation and partnership with our customers enables them to be ready – in the day-to-day moments, and in the moments that matter most.