Senior Android Engineer
We’re building a digital insurer which is affordable, instant and inclusive.
We use machine learning, automation, our own technology stack and comprehensive data integrations to offer quicker, simpler and fairer insurance to customers. We’re trying to build the largest, most technological insurance company of our generation, and we’ve got a long-way to go!
Currently, despite only being founded 3.5 years ago, we are valued at over $300m and have raised $35m to date! We have also been named one of London’s best startups to work for in 2021, check out the article here.
We are a team of over 80, have over half a million customers, a 4.5* Trustpilot and are championed by amazing investors who have backed the likes of Monzo and Spotify.
As the very first Android engineer you’ll be working in an entirely greenfield environment to build and launch our first app alongside our newly established iOS team to take the first step towards rebuilding insurance, for good. This role will be hands-on but has the potential to move into a people management or technical lead position. We anticipate the team will need to grow in 4- 6 months of you joining and we will work with you to hire the team you need to support the team’s success.
You can find out about our culture and what working at Marshmallow is like here.
What you will achieve in your first 12 months at Marshmallow 🤔
- Working with our designers and product owners to understand our product and input to the shape of our first Android Application
- Delivering the very first slimmed down version of our application, helping to bring functionality from our customer account into an app.
- Working alongside existing iOS team which is relatively newly established
- Understanding the Insurtech domain and our tech culture
- Experiencing a quarterly OKR planning session, where you’ll influence the roadmap for the team
- Building out a more fully featured version of the application, enabling self-serve policy changes
- Starting revolutionising the claims experience
- Building features to help with fraud detection and prevention
- Assisting with hiring & growing the team.
- Building out an app that revolutionises the way customers interact with their insurer
Who you are 🙋
- You are passionate about vastly improve our customer experience, reducing friction and helping people in their moments of need with an instant and delightful experience
- You think outside the box as you be assisting us in fraud detection & prevention, which will help us to lower prices and make insurance more affordable for our legitimate customers
- You believe in frequent, incremental value delivery
- You have a desire for creating clean, testable code
- You have an outcome oriented mindset and care about the “why” behind what you are building
- You care about customer experience
- 2+ years of commercial experience building consumer applications
- Have experience with automation testing & continuous integration
- Full-stack Android development e.g. Retrofit, Kotlin coroutines
- Experience with APIs that connect to the backend e.g. REST
- Competitive salary 💵
- Stock options 👩👩👦👦
- 33 day holiday allowance (inc bank holidays) 🏖️
- Pension 👵🏽
- Private Health insurance 🏥
- Cycle to work scheme 🚲
- Learning and training 📚
- Budget to help you set up working from home 🕑
- Our process consists of four stages, a People team conversation, a Technical stage, a Product stage and a final Culture stage with our Co-CEO
- We are able to let you know if you are invited to an interview or not. However, we do receive a lot of applications and as a small team we are unable to give individual feedback on each application
- Due to Covid we are currently working from home. We have an office space in Farringdon but how we use this will be driven by the guidance and advice at the time