Senior BIM Software Developer
Posted: 13 May 2019 Closes: 28 May 2019
DescriptionAs a Senior BIM Developer at HS2 you will ensure that high quality technology solutions are designed and developed to meet user needs as part of the design of HS2 information services, that they are in line with HS2’s BIM Strategy and that they are integrated as part of an HS2 digital ecosystem supporting development, construction and operation of the railway.
This role sits within the BIM department within our Infrastructure Directorate (ID) that is ultimately responsible for enabling a whole life approach to managing HS2s digital assets and realising their value. ID acts as the future Infrastructure Manager and Network Operator for the HS2 infrastructure. ID also acts as Proxy Operator until West Coast Partner starts as Shadow Operator, subsequently integrating WCP requirements into the programme. ID has combined the technical and operational expertise providing a single guiding mind for the requirements for the operating railway and is the technical authority for HS2.
Note: The location of the role could be London or Birmingham depending on the preference of the successful candidate.
About the role:
- Provide technical assurance of and if necessary assist the BIM Information Systems Manager, BIM Development Manager, GIS Lead and Solutions Architects in the design of technology solutions in IT delivery tracks to ensure new or changed services meet user needs;
- Lead the internal software development and scripting, work with delivery teams, partners and suppliers to ensure that solutions being developed are robust;
- Manage external development services and lead, support and mentor other software development staff;
- Ensure HS2 information technology solutions are integrated to form a digital ecosystem delivering a great user experience;
- Analyse and understand specific project and organisation requirements and provide time and effort estimates for implementation of business requirements;
- Work as part of a team or independently (depending on the size of the project) to undertake development, testing and implementation of applications to meet specific project requirements;
- Lead the resolution of technology issues arising in delivery and operation of applications, responding to downtimes;
- Understand and manage system quality with regards to simplicity, usability, availability, security and fraud avoidance;
- Perform maintenance of existing Common Data Environment systems, writing manual and automated tests and regularly perform these;
- Develop and support the development of Proof of Concepts, Write specifications, ITTs, processes and procedures, user guides and documentation;
- Keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and upskill staff and the supply chain as required.
- Experience of delivering technology architecture services for large, complex business change programmes;
- Experience of software development and system administration using Microsoft technologies;
- Experience in working with RDBMS and/or NoSQL, ideally SQL Server 2005+ or Oracle 10g+ or PostgreSQL 8.0+;
- Experience of CAD and/or GIS software and related processes and as a as a power user, administrator or a developer of EDMS;
- Experience with at least one desktop/server GIS or CAD API and at least one web GIS API or library;
- Experience of systems integration using SOA and Web Services, and by developing ETL processes covering non-graphical, graphical and geospatial information;
- Experience of working directly with business stakeholders to gather requirements and support users;
- Experience in writing and executing tests (QA) using automated test frameworks: Visual Studio/Jmeter/Gatling or similar, and Selenium or similar;
- Ability to critically review code written by self or others, communicate issues found and rectify them;
- DevOps sysadmin skills: Windows server 2003+, Windows 7+, virtualised/cloud, IIS, automation of maintenance routines using batch file, PowerShell or .NET;
- Ability to use one or more CAD software, from: AECOsim, Revit, ArchiCAD, MXROAD, PowerCivil, OpenRoads, Bentley Rail Track, Civil 3D, Microstation, AutoCAD, Infraworks or similar;
- Ability to use one or more GIS software, from: ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, MapInfo, QGIS, GeoMedia, AutoCAD Map, Bentley Map or similar;
- Ability to learn new programming languages including scripting and particularly Python in both ‘Pythonic’ and Object Oriented styles.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
About Us:High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential.