Senior Contracts Lawyer
Salary will start at £44,265 with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £48,912.
The Met Office Legal Team plays an essential role in enabling and managing the organisation's business relationships with external customers and stakeholders in a manner that maximises opportunity and minimises risk for the organisation. The team is a centre of professional excellence on how both commercial and non-commercial legal contracts are negotiated, drafted and managed, as well as on how the organisation manages regulatory compliance.
Additional Supplementary Information:
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Key Dates: Closing date 18/10/2020 with interviews expected W/C 02/11/2020. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
At present, all interviews will take place remotely via Skype.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
This role will nominally be based in [location] but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years.
We recognise that Great Minds Don’t Think Alike. Consequently, the Met Office is committed to working towards being a more diverse and inclusive organisation and to valuing and utilising visible and invisible individual differences. This includes continually striving to create a positive and open environment in which to work, along with ensuring that there are no barriers implicit in our policies or procedures preventing people from performing to the best of their ability. We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We are proud to have a variety of staff-led networks who constantly work with us to enable everyone to fulfil their full potential. We are taking measures throughout our Recruitment process to tackle unconscious bias, and we apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness and open competition.
This job will enhance the Legal Team's contracting function by creating a new Senior Contracts Lawyer career opportunity that will work together with Head of Legal, our Legal Contracts Manager and other team members to manage complex contractual case work, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our contracting function and advocate the Legal Team's profile both internally and externally.
• Provide legal advice and service in relation to the most complex commercial and non-commercial contractual matters, with effective client engagement at Executive and Associate Director level, on an independent basis.
• Identify, negotiate and draft appropriate forms of contractual agreements with external customers in accordance with applicable legislation, Government policy and internal Met Office policy and procedure.
• Research best practice approaches to designing contractual terms and conditions in the context of the Met Office's business model and governance boundaries.
• Mentor members of the Legal Team and other relevant members of staff in relation to contracting responsibilities and opportunities.
• Design and provide training opportunities to the wider Met Office business on contract formation, design, negotiation and management.
• Assist Head of Legal and the Legal Contracts Manager with monitoring and reporting of team workload, capacity, risk and success.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
1. A formal legal qualification (e.g., a qualified solicitor, barrister or legal executive) or equivalent legal experience.
2. Experience with the law of contract, how to identify the most appropriate contractual arrangement in response to business need and contractual drafting and negotiation.
3. Experience with other areas of law or policy that influence the content and limitations of contracting (such as competition, state aid, employment and/or data protection law).
4. Experience with independently preparing complex contractual arrangements on instruction's from internal clients that effectively manage business risk.
5. Experience with supporting a range of business transactions, with evidence of good commercial knowledge and understanding.
6. Can demonstrate a good understanding of intellectual property law.
7. Experience with coordinating internal clients and stakeholders in relation to business objectives including managing effective communications and client expectations in relation to legal services.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
1. Experience in or can demonstrate a good understanding of how the UK public sector operates and how it differs from the private sector from a law and policy perspective.
2. Experience with mentoring and/or coaching staff members to instil confidence, inspire creativity, instil a pragmatic approach to risk management.
3. Experience with delivering legal training across a variety of business areas on contract formation and management.
4. Experience with using information management software and applications to maximum effect, including Office365.