Senior CTI Coordinator
Senior CTI Coordinator
Location: Port Sunlight
Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace”
The future begins in Research & Development (R&D). In R&D, you’ll find out what consumers want and need, and then design the science and technology to make our innovations come to life. We have over 6,000 R&D employees designing, creating and developing exciting new products using innovative technologies - from scientists and product development experts to professionals such as hairdressers and chefs who have the skills to evaluate new products. You could be designing and developing new innovations for brands like TRESemmé, Magnum, Cornetto and Domestos – straight from your team to the shelves!
At the core of our values is sustainability, and our teams are dedicated to making our products better for you, for our customers and for the world. We are committed to ensuring that all of our packaging is fully reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025, and that we are using more recycled content. To achieve this, we collaborate closely either within the various R&D teams, with other Unilever colleagues like Marketeers and the Supply Chain, and with leading scientific experts from around the world.
If you have a passion for innovation and consumer products and like to find out how consumers use and rate everyday products then this opportunity might be just for you. Unilever’s Global Home Care Category is looking for someone to join its Consumer Technical Insights (CTI) team at Port Sunlight, Wirral to work on building their understanding of the consumers that use our products and translate this understanding into insights that can guide innovation. This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting team and develop your skills and career working on some of the world’s biggest Homecare brands.
Understanding and meeting the needs of our consumers is at the heart of the Consumer Technical Insights team. This role plays an important part in understanding how our products perform in globally-relevant conditions, and translating this understanding into insights and guidelines for product innovation. All of our product innovations respond to consumer needs, so this role has a direct impact on the innovation portfolio.
Consumer experience of a Home Care product is determined by many factors – physical conditions, country, sensory properties of the product, impact of technologies, end many more. Understanding the product use experience and its impact on consumer product assessment and satisfaction will be a key part of this role, creating a link between product development and consumers. The role is designed to build our consumer understanding across many countries around the world and will involve working collaboratively with colleagues in these countries.
This role sits within a multidisciplinary team, working alongside R&D and marketing, and also establishing links with third parties, such as agencies and academic institutions. Because the focus of the role is to guide technology, a basic understanding of science and technology is desirable if your background is not in Physical Sciences. The role could be suitable to a Physical Scientist with an interest in consumer research or to a Social Scientist interested in product science.
To lead the consumer learning plan for a specific product category (both strategic and project specific studies) in order to create the insights needed for product innovation as well as lead relevant studies in to build the consumer understanding capability.
- To be the key CTI representative within innovation project teams, leading the design, agreement and implementation of consumer learning plans.
- To define any studies/activities according to project needs.
- To take the lead in maintaining existing quality of capabilities in a particular skill area and to identify new opportunities via networks (internal/external) to help define & build the needs of the future, particularly in the digital world.
- To lead and coordinate the programme of tests with the relevant internal and/or external partners and lead discussions to refine objectives and define actions standards that will lead to the design of winning products in the market place.
- To select, brief and hold accountable the relevant external 3rd party(ies) and other partners.
- To provide maximum value to stakeholders by combining data from 3rd party(ies) with other sources of knowledge.
- To communicate results of studies to stakeholders so they can use them to refine product innovations.
- To present to senior stakeholders as required.
- To extract insights from multiple sources of information and identify the opportunities for the business.
- To build an area of expertise and provide input in defining best practice, acting as a mentor/coach to more junior team members.
- To work collaboratively with other Consumer Insight functions (CMI or Local teams) to deliver the best results to teams
- To help build CTI’s capability in digital methods.
ALL ABOUT YOU
- Proven ability to plan and manage own work within a technical area
- Ability to interact with a range of people with different backgrounds.
- Ability to drive a work area, and recommend the best approach to take considering any limitations.
- Ability to manage and communicate with stakeholders, including those from non-technical backgrounds
- Familiarity with consumer research techniques (qualitative, quantitative and sensory)
- Experimental design, familiarity with statistical tools, statistical data analysis and statistical interpretation of data.
- Ability to interpret data, from multiple sources in order to identify relevant insights.
- Ability to communicate consumer insights to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to use digital approaches to data collection (other qualitative or quantitative)
- Problem solving skills with practical creativity.
- Ability to work with in multi-functional teams.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
- Good organisation and time-management
- BSc or MSc (or equivalent) in Physical Sciences (including Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry or Biochemistry) OR in Social/Behavioural Sciences (Psychology or Sociology)
- Experience in an industrial or academic science area requiring measurement and data handling / analysis either qualitative or quantitative
- Experience of FMCG or the detergents sector
- Occasional travel may be required
- The job includes both laboratory (consumer areas) and office-based work (some of which may be agile)
WHAT WE OFFER
Not only do we offer a competitive salary, but also our pension scheme, an annual bonus, a free gym, a staff shop and shares. You’ll get the opportunity to work directly with our renowned and exciting brands in a flexible and agile environment. We strive to achieve a family-friendly culture and to, above all, create possibilities for all.
Diversity at Unilever is about inclusion, embracing differences, creating possibilities and growing together for better business performance. We embrace diversity in our workforce. This means giving full and fair consideration to all applicants and continuing development of all employees regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity.