Senior Data Engineer
We are seeking an experienced Senior Data Engineer to join the engineering team in Wellcome Data Labs.
Wellcome Data Labs are an innovative R&D space that blends data science and software development techniques to provide solutions to big problems in health and scientific research. We are a new and growing team with an open mind-set, collaborating and sharing work with teams across Wellcome and with the best data science teams across the world.
In this role, the successful candidate will design and build data products that serve Wellcome's mission to improve health by helping great ideas thrive. You will lead other Software engineers inside Wellcome Data Labs, a cross-functional team of engineers, data scientists, and social scientists, whose charter is to provide innovative data solutions to meet the needs of both Wellcome and the larger public.
What are some of the responsibilities?
- Identifying, developing and continuously improving products and practices
- Building and supporting required cloud infrastructure
- Setting the standard for delivering solutions including taking a lead on coding standards, testing and documentation
- Mentoring and sharing technical knowledge and provide guidance to technical and non-technical team members.
What are we looking for in you?
- To have strong experience developing in a language such as Python, Go, or Java, Proven experience in building reliable data and web services.
- Have solid knowledge of deploying services into AWS or Google Cloud Platform, ideally with Kubernetes, and Good familiarity with Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices, including testing, monitoring, automation, and prioritization of internal work.
- Expert knowledge of methods in data manipulation and wrangling
- Proven experience in managing, motivating and developing others
Applications shall be reviewed on a rolling basis until the role is filled
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us.