Senior Database Engineer
We bring together a modern edit of over 700 established and new generation designers. Founded over 30 years ago as a brick and mortar store, we transitioned online in 2012. In 2017, APAX Partners acquired a majority stake in MATCHESFASHION, fuelling our expansion. We now ship to 176 countries, have millions of site visits monthly and 98% of our sales are online with the majority of sales made internationally.
We have a global website, mobile apps, retail stores, private shopping, VIP events and 24/7 customer care and MyStylist teams. We have offices in the UK and Hong Kong. In London, our head office is based in The Shard, our brand new creative hub is in Here East.
We lead the way, moving our industry forward, and we are always looking for talented individuals to come in and inspire the world with us.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority for MATCHESFASHION – we delight customers around the world and so it’s important that our team represents our customers.
We want to attract the very best talent and create an inclusive environment that celebrates the diversity of our people and enables them to do the best work of their careers. We recognise the world is not a perfect place and that bias exists, which is why we take a focused approach in this area and are are committed to ensuring that all our people processes are equitable.
A Senior Database Engineer is required to join an existing Data team to design and build upon the Enterprise Data-Warehouse and Data-Lake implementation, as well as extend and support Data feeds and Data Services for the business. This will entail data ingestion and transformation of data within the Data Warehouse (SQL Server including dimensional modelling) and Data Lake (AWS & Databricks) and executed using best practice development lifecycle practices via automated CI release pipelines and test-driven development (TDD).
- Designing, Developing and supporting Data Warehouse, Data Lake and Data Feed pipelines.
- Designing, Developing and supporting SQL Server SSIS packages (SSIS) covering the ETL for the Data Warehouse.
- Designing, Developing and supporting integration between Data Warehouse and Data Lake (SSIS, Databricks - Python/pyspark).
- Designing, Developing and supporting Data Feed pipelines to and from internal and external APIs.
- Support DevOps and good software engineering standards delivering quality software products.
- Work with other Data Team members (BI Analysts, Data Engineers, Data Scientists) as part of an agile team using Scrum (using JIRA).
- Coach and mentor other members of the team through technical leadership, supporting on code reviews and design.
You are a passionate and expert Database Developer and have a proven track record in delivering Data Warehouse and ETL solutions. You have extensive experience with using Python for data wrangling. Ownership of the full software development life-cycle is important to you – from understanding requirements and analysis, TDD, design, development, deploying, releasing, and then support.
- Expert Database Developer using SQL Server 2016 and above covering the full SQL Stack (excellent SSIS & good SQL Server administration).
- Expert in ETL and Data Warehouse development skills including a very good understanding and practical application of dimensional modelling.
- Experienced Python Developer using Python to develop data processing systems.
- Experienced in using version control tools, SSDT, using CI tools and automation of the SDLC.
- Experienced with using a test driven development (TDD) approach.
- Good and proven ability to develop efficient code factoring cost and performance into development.
- Excellent data analysis skills, able to trouble shoot and problem solve effectively.
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills with an ability to converse appropriately with business users and technical teams.
- Good understanding of data privacy and security considerations.
- Agile / Scrum background.
- Exposure/knowledge of Spark (with Databricks a bonus)
- C# programming experience and/or R, Scala, Java.
- Retail background exp.
- Exposure to a main BI tool advantageous (e.g. MicroStrategy or other main platform)
- Exposure/knowledge or appetite to work with other database technologies (NoSQL & Big Data Technologies)
- Exposure to Cloud landscapes (AWS but Azure/GCP relevant also) specifically for database development
- Exposure or appetite to work in Data Engineering area. An opportunity to cross skill into our other technology stacks exists. E.g. Apache Spark, Scala and streaming technologies.