Senior Design Manager
You will be responsible for the management and overview of an area of works including a variety of design packages as a senior staff member. You will forecast and plan the design delivery and manage day to day aspects of third party design to meet the plan. You will manage the interface with the customer and third-party stakeholders. You will oversee the production of the design deliverables by the third party to the correct quality, contract, safety, time and cost requirements. Your role will include the management of in-house design managers undertaking management of various work packages within the sector.
Functional management will be via the Area Design Management Lead. The role requires the ability to self-start and progress with only minimal briefing required.
- Input into the appointment of designers which will include consultants, specialists and design and build contractors across a multitude of design disciplines
- Overall planning of the design delivery and contractual package management
- Leading the day to day management of the designers to programme budget, assurance and quality - providing the primary interface with the sector and work package teams
- Providing support to the designers in achieving the correct design outcomes
- Management of design risk
- Reviewing and contributing to the management of change where it affects design
- Close working with client counterparts in a collaborative manner.
- Managing other stakeholders on aspects of design
- Maintenance of schedules and trackers relating to legislation and clients’ procedures
- Applying and maintaining SCSJV, HS2 and statutory providers’ governance procedures
Line managing Design Managers and Assistant Design Managers.
- Interface and manage internal departmental input to design for example H+S, Environment, Planning, Engineering,
- Community, Legacy, Technical Assurance, Commercial, Quality, BIM.
- Understand the Client and Joint Venture Partners' Environment and Sustainability Policies, Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company's operations and ensure that the requirements, as applicable within their discipline, are implemented on the project.
Required qualifications, skills, behaviours and attributes
- Minimum HNC (or equivalent) in relevant engineering discipline (civils, mechanical, electrical etc)
- Design project management experience within construction
- People Management and stakeholder management experience
- Experience of managing interface with utility organisations
- Chartered member of recognised institution
- CSCS card
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role. Please note: Currently we are unable to offer sponsorship therefore all applicants are requested to ensure they can demonstrate their right to work in the UK.