Senior DevOps Engineer
About the team
Bulb is here to help our members cut their energy bills and reduce their carbon emissions. Our product teams make that happen. We’re developing products that will deliver the future of energy - from using AI to read energy meters, to making carbon offsetting fun and simple, from finding out how to get the most from Smart Meter data to helping people get paid for their solar energy. We also power the sign-up journey that helped us become the fastest growing company in the UK last year and the internal tools that let us deliver an excellent Trust Pilot score.
We work in project-based sprints in integrated teams and encourage an open and transparent working environment.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer you will:
- Be passionate about platform engineering and delivery whilst striving for continuous improvement
- Contribute to and assess new tools and ideas to meet short term and strategic goals
- Work closely with engineers to ensure a structured approach to delivering changes in a safe and immutable way.
- Create robust and scalable multi-region designs to accommodate our growing user base
- Ensure proper governance of all build (Circle CI) and Kubernetes deployment processes (e.g security-first principles, audited change management).
- Own and deliver continuous delivery pipelines for multiple environments.
- Create, maintain and test end-to-end Disaster Recovery (backup, restore, infrastructure and automation)
- Cooperate as an interface between Infrastructure and engineering to drive engineering efforts and help scale Bulb’s infrastructure.
Here are some of the things we think will be valuable, but we're also open-minded. If you recognise yourself any of these traits and you are passionate about the technologies mentioned then we’d love for you to send us an application.
- Google Cloud Platform and Kubernetes expertise
- Good understanding of system engineering areas of expertise: Linux, Disk I/O, Networking, VPNs
- Continuous delivery - principles and pragmatics of dealing with build pipelines, artefact repositories, zero-downtime deployment and so on
- Proving resilience via failure injection (chaos monkey), scalability via load and stress testing
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods.
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the teams are working on.
- We use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy.
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more.
- After a year at Bulb, you can take an additional month of unpaid leave to travel, work on personal projects or simply to recharge and reboot.
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
- Every team member has the option to buy shares in Bulb at a later date, at a discounted price. We all own a bit of Bulb.
- Activities to improve your mental and physical well being including office yoga and meditation.
- Private health care with Vitality
- Pension plan with employer contributions, and a cycle to work scheme.