Senior DevOps Engineer
While most of Team Bulb are working from home at this time, our Covid-secure offices are open for team members who need to use them. We’ve hired and onboarded more than 150 people virtually during the pandemic and have developed our ways of working to make sure new joiners feel part of our team. This includes virtual socials, lunch time 'Insights' from a range of internal and external speakers, and live streaming whole company meetings. If you'd like to read more about how we've adapted over the last few months, head over to our blog, and you can let us know about your specific requirements as part of the recruitment process.
About the team
Bulb is here to help our members cut their energy bills and reduce their carbon emissions. Our product teams make that happen. We’re developing products that will deliver the future of energy - from using AI to read energy meters, to making carbon offsetting fun and simple, from finding out how to get the most from Smart Meter data to helping people get paid for their solar energy. We also power the sign-up journey that helped us become the fastest growing company in the UK last year and the internal tools that let us deliver an excellent Trust Pilot score.
We work in project-based sprints in integrated teams and encourage an open and transparent working environment.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer you will:
- Be passionate about platform engineering and delivery whilst striving for continuous improvement
- Contribute to and assess new tools and ideas to meet short term and strategic goals
- Work closely with engineers to ensure a structured approach to delivering changes in a safe and immutable way.
- Create robust and scalable multi-region designs to accommodate our growing user base
- Ensure proper governance of all build (Circle CI) and Kubernetes deployment processes (e.g security-first principles, audited change management).
- Own and deliver continuous delivery pipelines for multiple environments.
- Create, maintain and test end-to-end Disaster Recovery (backup, restore, infrastructure and automation)
- Cooperate as an interface between Infrastructure and engineering to drive engineering efforts and help scale Bulb’s infrastructure.
Here are some of the things we think will be valuable, but we're also open-minded. If you recognise yourself any of these traits and you are passionate about the technologies mentioned then we’d love for you to send us an application.
- Google Cloud Platform and Kubernetes expertise
- Good understanding of system engineering areas of expertise: Linux, Disk I/O, Networking, VPNs
- Continuous delivery - principles and pragmatics of dealing with build pipelines, artefact repositories, zero-downtime deployment and so on
- Proving resilience via failure injection (chaos monkey), scalability via load and stress testing
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods:
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the teams are working on.
- We use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy
- Collaborative, flexible, and friendly environment
- Competitive salary, discretionary share options and bonus
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
- Healthcare with Vitality after passing probation, life insurance, and a pension plan with employer contributions
- Cycle to work scheme
- One month sabbatical leave after your first year