Senior IT Practitioner
Salary will start at £30,325* with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £33,260* plus a discretionary Market Supplement of £1,125 per annum and a discretionary long-term incentive plan of £2,300 (subject to periodical review).
*Salary quoted is based on full-time salary (37 hours) and 27.5 days annual leave and 8 bank holidays. Leave rises to 32.5 days annual leave and 8 bank holidays after 5 years. Employees can buy or sell up to 5 days leave if full-time or for part-time staff up to their weekly contracted hours.
The Met Office’s vision is to be recognised as the ‘Global partner of choice for Weather and Climate services’. TIS are the programme within the Met Office responsible for the delivery and support of IT Services and Systems that enable the Met Office to deliver this vision.
Within the Infrastructure & Operations part of TIS, the Internet Applications & Corporate Database team provides 24x7 support for dozens of operational services both on-premise and in the Cloud.
Each of the operational services is delivered in accordance with its own SLA or an overarching OLA.
Met Office employees benefit from:
- Annual Leave of 27.5 days (+ 8 Public and Bank holidays), increasing to 32.5 after 5 years.
- Flexible working hours to promote work/life balance.
- Extensive career development opportunities.
- ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme to enable affordable, healthy travel.
- Free car park.
- On-site modern, fully functional gym + classes.
- On-site restaurant, shop and café.
As a Senior IT Practitioner you will be working in the Internet Applications & Corporate Database Team. The team provides 24x7 support for dozens of operational services both on-premise and in the Cloud. The team works with development squads to ensure the smooth transition of new services into operation and throughout their lifecycle. The team support a broad range of technologies including web systems, content delivery networks, databases, monitoring tools and cloud infrastructure.
Things you might be working on in a typical day:
- Monitoring data ingestion jobs
- Monitoring database connections
- Troubleshooting database issues (e.g. Failed Inserts, Deletes etc)
- Troubleshooting failed jobs, job configurations, data sources & attributes used in product generation.
- Gathering statistics from database tables
- General database Housekeeping, Freeing up space, clearing out old data. , etc.
- Building your skill set and gaining certification where appropriate.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience in developing and maintaining enterprise database solutions.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving technical issues.
- Experience in developing solutions using modern tools.
- The ability to understand issues, to ask pertinent questions and to communicate problems and solutions.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience of working in an IT Support environment.
- Knowledge of web, database and cloud technology.
Additional Supplementary Information:
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria. .
Key Dates: Closing date 26/08/2019 with interviews commencing 19/09/2019 Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
The Met Office is an equal employer and flexible and UK homeworking requests will be considered within operational requirements. There will be a requirement for staff to attend training and induction in Exeter during their probationary period, and following this an expectation they would be able to work in Exeter at least 1 day each week.
We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer with an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality.
This role will nominally be based in Exeter but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
This post requires you to gain full security clearance due to the nature of the role. Therefore, in order obtain full clearance you will need to have lived at the same address in the UK for 3 years out of the last 5 years, or lived in the UK for 3 out of the last 5 years if you have lived at various addresses.
A discretionary Market Supplement of £1,125 per annum and a discretionary long-term incentive plan of £2,300 (subject to periodical review).