Senior Project Engineer
This is a chance to build your career in an organisation that matters to millions. To join a city within a city – to create great experiences for the 210,000 (and counting) passengers who pass through our doors each day. Life with us means exploring unlimited opportunities. And making a real difference to people who are travelling to all sorts of places for all sorts of different reasons.
It's an exciting time to be part of the Heathrow team. In June 2018, Parliament gave us the go ahead for Expansion. This isn’t just about a new runway. It’s about transforming the UK’s hub airport and securing the UK’s future place in the world.
This landmark decision will generate economic growth benefits worth up to £187 billion and create up to 180,000 new jobs across the UK. What’s more, it’ll pave the way for new domestic routes and up to 40 new international destinations. Construction will begin in 2021, but the work to make this huge project happen begins now. Which is why we’re looking for a whole host of people to join our Expansion department in areas from Finance and Airline Strategy to Community & Stakeholders.
Join us as a [job title], and you’ll have huge scope to make your mark on what will be one of Europe’s largest infrastructure projects. You’ll shape its success in all sorts of ways, focusing in particular on our local communities, a more sustainable future, our millions of passengers, businesses in the UK and beyond, and all of your colleagues working at the airport.
As well as competitive salaries, we’re committed to providing a whole host of great benefits that make this an even more rewarding place to work. They include an excellent pension scheme, life assurance, access to private health insurance and, in IT, flexible working. We actively try to create part-time opportunities and use remote technologies to enable people to work from home.
We also have a range of initiatives designed to help people in our surrounding communities get to and from work cost-effectively and sustainably, from free travel on local buses through to subsidised rail fares. Not only that, when you get here, we’ll nurture your skills and do all we can to help you reach your full potential.
Be part of the 78 million passenger journeys we make happen each year. An incredibly important part.
The role of the Senior Project Engineer (SPE) is to lead the Project Engineering team and to support the wider Development Project Management team in ensuring quality, safety, predictable completion of works and value for money. This will be achieved through extensive collaboration with our main contractors, their supply chain, 3rd party organisations and multiple project teams; challenging at all stages of the Project process (from design to construction, operation and maintenance). The SPE reports to the Airside and Landside Delivery Director and is based at the Heathrow Starlight Point office.
Your role will involve:
- Preparing, reviewing and coordinating technical data with Programme Designers (PD’s) and Delivery Integrators (DI’s), to ensure alignment to the HAL Asset Design Standards are compliant. The SPE will challenge the status-quo to ensure value engineering is implemented right first time.
- Leading a team of Project Engineers across Heathrow’s Capital portfolio and Expansion interfaces. The SPE will ensure projects are supported by focused on site presence and technical support.
- Being responsible for developing the project engineering team to ensure the appropriate level of skills and resource are in place to support Development’s / Expansion project pipeline.
- Driving supplier performance to Heathrow specifications and procedures. This will include quality inspections and audits of construction activities to ensure contractors are delivering in line with Heathrow’s quality expectations.
- Consulting with key stakeholder teams to advise and review project impact before, during and after delivery.
We’re looking for people who have:
- Previous experience as a Resident Engineer or Clerk of Works in a heavy civils environment and/or experience of the management of a team of technical / quality professionals.
- Commercial & contractual acumen – understands and acts within limits of authority. Understands contractors scope definition under contract and demands value for money. Ability to develop detailed works information and provide back up to respond to claims. Understanding and experience of the Supervisor role under NEC contracts would be an advantage.
- Previous line management experience with a proven ability to develop and get the best out of people and forming high performing teams.
- Ability to obtain / holder of or restricted area airside pass and ‘M’ class driving license.
- Understanding of CAD applications, technical drawings, IT Literate, using and searching technical document storage systems.
- Membership of suitable professional body, for example; IAT, ICT, ICE etc.Accredited to Chartered or Incorporated status or at least working towards.
Join us, and you’ll have everything you need to shine and explore the countless career destinations that are available here.
As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We believe that diverse talent makes us stronger – not least because we welcome all sorts of passengers from all corners of the globe, every single day. At Heathrow, we’re driven by inclusivity and we celebrate individuality. #LI-EXPANSION