Senior Python Engineer
About the team
The Platform team at Bulb is building a completely greenfield system responsible for things like Billing, Metering and Account Management. This software will be at the very heart of Bulb’s business and is absolutely vital to our day-to-day operations and future ambitions. We’ve reached 1.7 million customers in 4 years and we're still growing!
As a Senior Python Engineer you will:
- Be resourceful, and capable of going and figuring out a complex problem which may sometimes only be loosely defined.
- Have strong design skills; be capable of conducting design reviews and be familiar with cloud native design patterns and the Microservices architectural style.
- Be keen to learn about the idiosyncrasies of the energy industry.
- Be able to learn new technologies rapidly, and be able to share that learning with others.
- Be a strong team player who is able to collaborate across teams and departments.
- Be a strong advocate for software engineering best practice, taking pleasure from clean code, you have a predilection for TDD, and you’re a fan of pairing.
- Be able to support software builds and contribute to keeping systems up and running by getting involved in deployment, monitoring and logging.
We use a mix of technologies at Bulb and we have a mindset of picking the best tool for the job rather than railroading technical decision making. We have a strong bias towards open-source and we aim to quickly adopt emerging technologies where we think it will drive improvements for our business.
Some of the technologies we’re currently using in our production stack are:
- Python > 3.5 with typehints, dataclasses and coroutines using async/await.
- Postgres for relational data storage. BigQuery for timeseries data.
- Google Cloud Pub/Sub for messaging.
- CircleCI for automated builds and our continuous delivery pipeline.
- Kubernetes and Docker for containerisation, scheduling and running services.
- Google Cloud Platform for our infrastructure and Terraform for infrastructure orchestration.
As part of your day to day role you will:
- Be working on designing, developing and maintaining software that is fundamental to Bulb’s business, typically providing services that offer an API for our tooling to interact with.
- Be working closely with internal and external stakeholders to rapidly deliver new services, enhancements, and the occasional bug fix.
- Build strong partnerships across the engineering group at Bulb to drive best practice internally.
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods.
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the teams are working on.
- We use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy.
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more.
- After a year at Bulb, you can take an additional month of unpaid leave to travel, work on personal projects or simply to recharge and reboot.
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
- Every team member has the option to buy shares in Bulb at a later date, at a discounted price. We all own a bit of Bulb.
- Activities to improve your mental and physical well being including office yoga and meditation.
- Private health care with Vitality
- Pension plan with employer contributions, and a cycle to work scheme.