Senior Software Engineer
About the team
Bulb is here to help our members cut their energy bills and reduce their carbon emissions. Our product teams make that happen. We’re developing products that will deliver the future of energy - from using AI to read energy meters, to making carbon offsetting fun and simple, from finding out how to get the most from Smart Meter data to helping people get paid for their solar energy. We also power the sign-up journey that helped us become the fastest growing company in the UK and the internal tools that let us deliver an excellent Trust Pilot score.
We work in project-based sprints in integrated teams and encourage an open and transparent working environment.
The following pods are hiring Senior Software Engineers:
Own end to end technology behind Smart meter experience - installation, onboarding, data consumption, and energy usage advice. Integration with smart home appliances is likely the future as well.
- Solar: Developing new tools and features to help members with solar panels to save money and get paid for the energy that the export to the grid.
- EV charging: helping members with Electric Vehicles save and reduce their carbon emissions by charging at the cheapest and greenest times of day. Investigating future technologies like vehicle-to-home and vehicle-to-grid (i.e. using your car battery to store extra renewable energy to use later).
- Batteries: Helping members with solar panels store excess solar energy for use when the sun has gone down.
At Bulb we want to hire people with the experiences necessary to get going quickly, but who are also interested in learning new things and are comfortable working in a changing environment.
- You take pleasure from clear code, see writing tests as an integral part of the development process and understand the benefit of writing code and tests in small increments.
- You are keen to learn new technologies and have ideas about how we do things better.
- You like solving both real world and technical problems.
- You are an enthusiastic team player who enjoys collaborating across teams and departments.
- You are passionate about learning and personal growth.
At Bulb we use a wide variety of technologies. While we have core technologies that we work with, we're always trying to pick the best tool for the job, and are always looking at what's on the horizon.
Our stack currently includes:
- Node, Typescript, Koa, GraphQL, React, React Native, Webpack, Babel
- Circle CI, Kubernetes, Docker and Google Cloud Platform
We use Git for source control, write tests and run continuous integration, and review each other’s code through pull requests.
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods.
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Scrum/Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the teams are working on.
- We use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy.
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more.
- After a year at Bulb, you can take an additional month of unpaid leave to travel, work on personal projects or simply to recharge and reboot.
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
- Every team member has the option to buy shares in Bulb at a later date, at a discounted price. We all own a bit of Bulb.
- Activities to improve your mental and physical well being including office yoga and meditation.
- Private health care with Vitality
- Pension plan with employer contributions, and a cycle to work scheme.