Senior Software Engineer
Company & Department Context
The Financial Times is one of the world’s leading business news organisations, recognised internationally for its authority, integrity and accuracy. The FT has a record paying readership of one million, three-quarters of which are digital subscriptions. It is part of Nikkei Inc., which provides a broad range of information, news and services for the global business community.
We have offices in more than 35 cities, including London, New York, Hong Kong, Beijing, Manila, Sofia, San Francisco and Tokyo. Join us and find an inclusive and fast-paced environment with unique opportunities to support every step of your career.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
This is an opportunity for a senior engineer to join the FT Core Product & Technology department and work on the Membership platform. Membership powers a seamless subscription/payments/access customer journey.
You will be responsible for delivering innovative technical solutions as you build and operate world class platforms. You will have the autonomy, within defined guard rails, to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services.
In this role you will:
- Work directly with product managers and senior stakeholders
- Work within (with an opportunity to lead) a team of engineers in an agile delivery team
- Design and implement low maintenance, well monitored, secure and scalable solutions
- Design, build and operate solutions, from cradle to grave
- Understand and play an active part in designing the architecture, tooling and release cycle processes used by the engineering teams across Product & Technology
- Develop a close relationship with our customers
Candidate Profile - Essential:
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Highly proficient in Java,
- Has a track record of delivering well engineered solutions using current technologies and best practices such as SOLID, TDD, CI/CD and pair programming
- An active member of the broader technology community with an understand of current leading trends
- Experience working as part of an Agile delivery team, using methodologies like Scrum and Kanban
- Good understanding of the principles and trade-offs of a microservices architecture
- Good working experience of at least one cloud infrastructure, ideally AWS
- Good SQL knowledge
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment
Candidate Profile - Desirable:
- Experience in an environment where operational support and monitoring of code and systems is part of the culture (DevOps)
- Experience designing and developing RESTful APIs
- Experience with Spring or Dropwizard Java Frameworks is a plus
- Ability to accurately monitor and analyse system performance using tools like Grafana
- Holds an industry certification in a key platform, tool or domain used within Engineering at the FT. This could be any relevant certification but currently we are recommending it's an AWS Associate certificate
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages and subsidised gym memberships. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
At the FT, we are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer that seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. We aim to treat all employees in a fair and consistent manner, promote good working relationships to encourage high standards of conduct and performance within a work environment free from harassment, bullying and discrimination. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.