Senior Software Engineer
Company & Department Context
The Financial Times (FT) is one of the world’s leading business news and information organisations. We are recognised globally for our authority, integrity and accuracy. We provide a broad range of essential services, including news, comment, data and analysis, to a growing audience of internationally minded business people.
A key part of the FT business, providing significant revenue and contribution to the FT, is Specialist Titles. This is an exciting time for Specialist Titles as we have created a large new cross-functional product & technology team in Sofia to support the needs of these products. The team’s focus will be across 3 distinct areas:
- Existing products - protecting existing profit and enabling outcome driven development eg: engagement, acquisition and retention;
- Incremental growth from existing products - via product extensions, driving additional revenue; and
- Diversification - growing and diversifying through growth initiatives into new markets.
The Specialist Titles portfolio consists of 16 different brands including Investors Chronicle, FDI Intelligence, and The Banker, to name a few. Operationally this portfolio is also comprised of FT Live and Events businesses, NED (Non-Executive Directors), 125 Forum, and How to Spend it (HTSI) magazine.
We are looking for Senior Software Engineer to join FT Specialist as our team is entering a new era. We have a golden opportunity to renew our technology estate, to use best practices and to build a modern sustainable technology stack that will underpin the success of the business for years to come.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Help with technical decision-making to support the technology strategy
- Aid and support personal development of more junior team-members
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the business domains within FT Specialist. Use that understanding to shape the development of the platforms you build.
- Work within the department's strategy and guardrails, and contribute to their ongoing refinement.
- Have a practical approach to working with a large portfolio of products that leverage a diverse range of technologies.
- Communicate widely within the organisation to ensure best practice in other areas is understood and adopted where it makes sense to do so.
Essential skills and experience
- Extensive experience using the wide range of technologies and patterns required to build modern web products and services along with the tools that enable their creation. From CDNs, networking, cloud infrastructure and databases through to performance tuning and optimisation.
- Experience with the tooling, monitoring, and engineering that enables highly fault tolerant systems in cloud environments.
- Writing automated unit and end-to-end tests – with best practice in mind – for feature development
- Ability to clearly reason about and articulate reasoning behind technical trade-offs (e.g. red/blue technical debt)
- Able to balance the customer and business product needs with those needed to build high quality products.
- Understand the importance of diversity and equality in a well functioning team
- Be able to communicate clearly and concisely
Desirable skills and experience
- An understanding of modern front-end development
- Have built software using the 12 factor methodology
- You have an understanding of design and UX principles.
- Understanding of web technologies, their strengths and weaknesses, and their impact on users in performance and accessibility.
- Instrumenting for observability and operability
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
We think the Financial Times is a great place to work: we have a technical stack that is cutting edge - employing cloud-based, microservices architectures and using a wide range of open source and commercial technologies; our product development methodologies are very current - using a data driven approach, empowering everyone to understand and to delight our customers; our engineers are free to choose the tools they need and are able to influence the development process. Importantly, we ensure staff also have the ability to achieve a good work life balance.
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages and subsidised gym memberships. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
At the FT, we are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer that seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. We aim to treat all employees in a fair and consistent manner, promote good working relationships to encourage high standards of conduct and performance within a work environment free from harassment, bullying and discrimination. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.