Senior User Researcher
We are looking for a Senior User Researcher to join our friendly, multidisciplinary product team working on Wellcome Collections digital transformation. If you're seeking a new opportunity to help improve people's cultural lives, this unique role may be right for you.
About the job
Wellcome Collection is Wellcome's free museum and library exploring health and humanity. Our vision is to be a place that challenges the ways we all think and feel about health by connecting science, medicine, life and art. Our website is instrumental in delivering our mission by helping to cultivate the exchange of ideas, knowledge and experience in support of an inclusive and diverse community.
Its a transformational time for us. We're creating a new user experience that brings together our venue website, library collections and engaging editorial content into a single platform for the first time. We're replacing our legacy search functionality with a modern search system built on our own collections API. And we're putting users at the heart of it all, using insights gathered from qualitative and usability research to ensure we're building accessible, useful and desirable products for our audiences.
What you'll be doing
As Senior User Researcher, you'll be an essential member of the Digital Experience team, responsible for conducting user research for Wellcome Collections digital products. (You can read more about our user research here)
You will be responsible for:
- Uncovering the behaviours, needs and motivations of our users, using a variety of ethnographic and contextual research and UX testing methodologies.
- Generating insights that feed into all stages of product development, from discovery to ongoing iteration, and in line with our product roadmap.
- Ensuring we get longer-term value from our user research by developing and maintaining our knowledge base.
- Sharing insights that feed into Wellcome Collectionâ€™s overall understanding of our users, their usage of the collections and their engagement with our content and services.
We're looking for a person with previous experience working as a User Researcher within an organisation across a variety of products, projects and public-facing services. You've independently organised and carried out all aspects of user research, including recruitment, moderating research sessions, synthesising and presenting your research findings.
To succeed in this role, you'll need to:
- Good at building rapport with people and drawing out their motivations and needs.
- Be an excellent communicator. You know how to present your research to your team and stakeholders so that it can be understood and acted on.
- Be interested in creating digital products that put the user first, no matter their ability or experience. Previous experience working with D/deaf, disabled and/or neurodiverse people would be an advantage, but not essential. We would support you in developing your research skills through in-house networks and further training.
There is no specific degree requirement. Your previous experience, growth mindset and enthusiasm for what we do are more valuable.
We believe great ideas can change the world and improve health for everyone. At Wellcome, we help great ideas to thrive by supporting scientists and researchers, taking on big problems, fuelling imaginations and sparking debate.
We offer excellent benefits and help our employees to develop in an open, respectful culture where differences are valued.
If you're passionate about our work and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to support our vision, then we'd love to hear from you.
To apply, please complete the online application process and include a covering letter that explains:
- how you meet the criteria for the job
- what motivates you to apply for this role.
Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Wellcome. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments for people who have a disability or long-term condition. If you would like us to make adjustments during the application process, please contact us at .