- £85,365 - £97,924 per annum
- Total reward package, including a generous pension, of circa £129K for those starting on midpoint of salary scale
- For operational reasons, this post will be mainly based at our Exeter HQ, with some flexibility due to ongoing reviews around workplace requirements
- A relocation package is available
We are in the process of restructuring senior leadership at the Met Office, aligning to deliver our strategy and implement a new operating model across the organisation. This is an exciting opportunity to join the Executive Team at the Met Office. Reporting to the CEO, you will work with them to deliver the business strategy. You will lead our 24/7/365 services and drive excellence in our operational services.
Additional Supplementary Information:
The application process includes your CV and a concise personal statement evidencing your skills and experience stated in the job description.
Key Dates: Closing date 7/07/2020 with interviews expected W/C 27/07/2020. Details will be sent to shortlisted candidates prior to their interview.
Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful. Selection process may include psychometrics, a stakeholder engagement event, presentation and panel interview.
At present, all interviews are taking place remotely via Skype.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years.
We recognise that Great Minds Don’t Think Alike. Consequently, the Met Office is committed to working towards being a more diverse and inclusive organisation and to valuing and utilising visible and invisible individual differences. This includes continually striving to create a positive and open environment in which to work, along with ensuring that there are no barriers implicit in our policies or procedures preventing people from performing to the best of their ability. We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We are proud to have a variety of staff-led networks who constantly work with us to enable everyone to fulfil their full potential. We are taking measures throughout our Recruitment process to tackle unconscious bias, and we apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness and open competition.
Helping people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive
- As a member of the Executive Board, you will work with the CEO, building a strategy to deliver greater benefit and impact to our customers.
- Delivering the operational capability to support the delivery model; focussing everything we do to deliver greater benefit and impact to our customers.
- Leading and delivering our 24/7/365 critical operational services when resilience and wellbeing of shift-workers is paramount.
- Heading the delivery of all our services, including 24/7 critical to life services, and observations and forecasting around the UK and the world
- Leading successful delivery of transformational change management programmes, managing significant and successful operational change whilst ensuring delivery of business-critical services on time and to budget, in a complex and diverse multi-stakeholder environment.
- Improving the accuracy of our forecasts and warnings to ensure we continue to provide lifesaving advice.
- Ensuring we have the right tools and skills in place to ensure our Operational Meteorologists can meet the future needs of our customers.
- Define Service Management Strategy and create and manage support services/solutions.
- Embedding a common approach to customer data services and delivering a common Met Office data platform.
- Be Executive first point of contact for incident management and business continuity.
Our services include
- 24/7/365 service delivery
- Helpdesk Operations
- Delivery of Meteorology, Technical and Digital Services
- Maintenance of meteorological hardware
We are very proud of our values and seek applications from candidates who share them:
- We’re a force for good
- We’re experts by nature
- We live and breathe it
- We’re better together
- We keep evolving
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- You will have a background in providing resilient service delivery, including during challenging periods.
- Strong operational delivery focus, able to interpret data to create and present evidence-based insight.
- The ability to assimilate and analyse information quickly and objectively, cutting through complexity, arriving at sound judgements.
- Capable of articulating decisions clearly, decisively and in a timely way taking responsibility for the consequences.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of commercial services including procuring for public value and managing contracts successfully.
- General management at Master level or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record of managing a significant budget (£x million+) within agreed limits and extensive knowledge of corporate budgeting and financial processes including delivery of cost reduction/ efficiency programmes.
- Working with or across different sectors or organisations.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Working within Meteorological services.
- Gold Command experience.
- International experience.
- Project and programme management qualification or knowledge - a PPM management qualification, e.g. PRINCE 2 or equivalent relevant knowledge