Supercomputer Commercial and Technology Contract Manager
Salary will start at £44,265 with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £48,912.Plus a discretionary Market Supplement value of £2,250 and a discretionary long-term incentive plan of £3,500 (subject to periodical review).
You may also be eligible to claim relocation costs of up to £5,000.
It is an incredibly exciting time to work at the Met Office. We are an internationally renowned centre of excellence and a world-leading provider of weather and climate services. Technology plays a critical role in all aspects of Met Office operations, underpinning the reliable delivery of our world class services to customers. Our Supercomputer is critical to our success and as we embark with the competitive process to secure new services we require an experienced Commercial and Technology Contract Manager to be a key member of the team from June 2020.
Additional Supplementary Information:
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Key Dates: *Due to the current concerns around the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have taken the decision to extend the Closing date to 13/04/2020 with interviews now expected W/C 27/04/2020* . Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this information in your application.
Please note, when joining the Met Office all new employees will start on the salary band minimum.
This role will nominally be based in Exeter but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate, you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Please note that successful candidate/s will be required to satisfactorily undergo security clearance checks. This will generally require the candidate to have lived in the UK for at least three out of the last five years, but applicants not meeting this criteria may be considered.
We recognise that Great Minds Don’t Think Alike. Consequently, the Met Office is committed to working towards being a more diverse and inclusive organisation and to valuing and utilising visible and invisible individual differences. This includes continually striving to create a positive and open environment in which to work, along with ensuring that there are no barriers implicit in our policies or procedures preventing people from performing to the best of their ability. We are a “Disability Confident” employer, Mindful Employer, and we hold an Athena Swan Bronze award for our work on gender equality. We are proud to have a variety of staff-led networks who constantly work with us to enable everyone to fulfil their full potential. We are taking measures throughout our Recruitment process to tackle unconscious bias, and we apply the Civil Service Code to ensure that everyone is recruited on merit, fairness and open competition.
This role will manage the contracts and relationships with our most significant strategic supplier(s); ensuring commercial and technology activities in relation to the Programme meet contract policy and risk management requirements and provide value for money for the Met Office. The role will lead on all contract management activities relating to the Programme, ensuring that the Met Office operates to Government Commercial Operating Standards for Contract Management.
The role will be line managed within the Commercial & Procurement team, while the postholder will work closely with operational teams in Technology and Science to support delivery.
• Provide the business understanding and market awareness required to manage strategically critical and complex technology contracts.
• Provide the resilience, assertiveness and political insight to build relationships and improve contract management capability.
• Input into the development and implementation of effective planning and, once sourced, mobilisation of contracts.
• Make appropriate use of contract management levers with the ability to realise contractual benefits.
• Understand and lead the management of contract change within a technology environment.
• Identify and manage relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
• Carry out risk planning for strategic and operational risks.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Degree level qualification or equivalent professional experience supported by commercial qualifications with relevant professional membership.
- ITIL V2 accreditation is a minimum mandatory requirement.
- The Met Office is working to introduce the Government Commercial Function Contract Management Professional Standards for its Contract Managers and requires demonstration of the Government Contract Management Professional Standards
- Experience working with contracts, commercial and procurement, or legal agreements
- Working knowledge of contracts and standard contracting terms for supply of technology services.
- Experience of managing suppliers with strong working knowledge of tools and processes such as risk management and budget management.
- Reliable, enthusiastic and able to work effectively in a team with strong stakeholder building skills with cross-functional colleagues.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Membership of International Association for Contract & Commercial Management - IACCM certified to Advanced or Expert level is desirable. If not already qualified the successful candidate will expect to complete the practitioner qualification within 12 months of appointment.
- Exposure to Service Integration and Management (SIAM) models is desirable. If not already qualified the successful candidate will expect to complete the SIAM Foundation qualification within 12 months of appointment.