Band CJob Purpose
Base location: Birmingham
BBC Local is recruiting a data journalist with experience in storytelling, using graphics to tell stories.
You'll be part of the Central Editorial Team, which provides a range of multi-platform central services for local and regional teams across England. Our Data Journalists deliver a wide range of data-led stories as well as supporting the delivery of journalism locally. It works in partnership with data teams across the BBC.Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Knowledge, Skills, Training & Experience
- To generate original ideas for impactful data-driven investigations that will resonate with regional audiences and the wider BBC.
- To explore and summarize data for interesting news angles using spreadsheet software such as Google Sheets and Excel.
- To use off-the-shelf data visualisation tools such as Flourish and Datawrapper to explain complex datasets to our audience.
- To support the delivery of data journalism to regional teams, along with providing expertise and guidance to colleagues.
- To monitor data releases from public authorities and other sources for potential sources news stories.
- You will be a talented investigative journalist, brimming with story ideas.
- You will be adept at handling datasets with a track record of delivering public interest news stories from a variety of data sources.
- You will have experience in creating graphics, telling visual stories online and/or for TV.
- You will enjoy working on long-form digital investigations rather than daily news.
- You will be passionate about local news and have an understanding of BBC Local, and the BBC teams across England.
- You will be passionate about exploring the latest developments in digital storytelling and computer-aided journalism.
- A good understanding of statistics and statistical analysis.
- Experience of working with graphics to visualise data.
- Experience of using visualisation tools such as Datawrapper and Flourish (including spatial data).
- Experience negotiating with public officials for data and open records, and sound understanding of how to gather information via Freedom of Information requests.
- Experience of writing for the web and using content management systems to make compelling content.
- Knowledge of programming languages used by data journalists such as Python and R.
- A knowledge of basic HTML and CSS and an understanding of web page design.
- Knowledge of web scraping tools.