Base location: Birmingham
BBC Local is recruiting a data journalist, to work on stories to be told effectively across online, radio, social media and TV.
You'll be part of the Central Editorial Team, which provides a range of multi-platform central services for local and regional teams across England. Our Data Journalists deliver a wide range of data-led stories as well as supporting the delivery of journalism locally. It works in partnership with data teams across the BBC.Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Knowledge, Skills, Training & Experience
- To generate original ideas for impactful data-driven investigations that will resonate with regional audiences and the wider BBC
- To explore and summarize data for interesting news angles using spreadsheet software such as Google Sheets and Excel
- To use off-the-shelf data visualisation tools such as Flourish and Datawrapper to explain complex datasets to our audience
- To support the delivery of data journalism to regional teams, along with providing expertise and guidance to colleagues
- To monitor data releases from public authorities and other sources for potential sources news stories
- To gather case studies and interviewees in audio, video and text, to support rollout of data stories across England.
You will be a talented investigative journalist, brimming with story ideas.
You will be adept at handling datasets with a track record of delivering public interest news stories from a variety of data sources.
You will have experience in researching and gathering content with case studies, for delivery across different platforms.
You will enjoy working on long-form digital investigations rather than daily news.
You will be passionate about local news and have an understanding of BBC Local, and the BBC teams across England.
You will be passionate about exploring the latest developments in digital storytelling and computer-aided journalism. Skills/experience
A good understanding of statistics and statistical analysis.
Experience in at least two of the following: audio reporting, video/TV reporting, production, and online journalism.
Experience of using visualisation tools such as Datawrapper and Flourish (including spatial data)
Experience negotiating with public officials for data and open records, and sound understanding of how to gather information via Freedom of Information requests
Experience of writing for the web and using content management systems to make compelling content Desirable experience
Knowledge of programming languages used by data journalists such as Python and R
A knowledge of basic HTML and CSS and an understanding of web page design
Web scraping tools