Learn As You Earn - Life changing careers with Amazon Apprenticeships
A qualification and a career at the same time? That's a bit like having your cake and eating it, right? But it really doesn't have to be one or the other. Learning and earning within an apprenticeship means you get both - a qualification and a career.
Amazon apprenticeship schemes suit candidates with different backgrounds, qualifications and career aspirations; people who are excited to learn and want to start a career now - or possibly retrain in a new direction.
To be successful you will need to be committed to your own development and be prepared to make the most of the opportunities, hands on experience and qualifications given to you.
After graduating from your apprenticeship, you will be qualified to apply for a permanent role within our team. Different programs are available throughout the UK, across our operations and corporate offices.
Key job responsibilities
Mechatronics maintenance apprenticeship
Amazon is the perfect place to start your career in mechatronics maintenance. As one of the world's largest retail companies, we have an unrivalled range of equipment, technologies and facilities, so there are a huge variety of projects you can work on during the program.
You will build your skills over a 48-month period - starting in September - that will include:
• Classroom and workshop based training hosted offsite,
• Amazon's on-the-job training program, delivered by our specialist teams,
• Mentoring from our RME engineers.
Alongside extensive development of your technical skills, you will also grow your abilities in crucial complementary areas like organization, prioritization, data analysis and problem solving techniques, teamwork, communication and presentation skills.
Year 1 is full time residential (classroom training) at one of our provider's facilities. As a result, you may be required to travel to the accommodation on a Sunday and to work away from home until Friday each week during term time (costs will be supported by Amazon) this is combined with short periods working at one of our Fulfilment Centres. This will give you a thorough and detailed insight into the work of the RME team as well as the basic skills necessary before working on our equipment.
Subsequent years will be made of day or block release training at a specialist college - to study for an HNC in Electronic & Electrical Engineering - and on-the-job training in a Fulfilment/Sortation Centre or Delivery Station amongst our team of technicians and engineers.
Please note that the training described above is subject to COVID restrictions and study from home may be required.
Not only will you receive invaluable learning, development and professional experience, you will also gain a number of externally recognized qualifications.
You will graduate into a Multi-Skilled Maintenance Engineer position on completion of the program where we will continue your development, allowing you to grow with the business.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Glasgow, GLG, GBR
• For the apprenticeship program we prioritize applicants eligible to government funding for their apprenticeship and for this you need to have the right to live and work in Scotland and are willing to reside there for the duration of the program (48 months),
• You will be 18 years old or older before entering an Amazon building (Summer 2024),
You have 3 Scottish Standards (or equivalent) at Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent): Maths, English and a science/technology subject,
If you have received educational qualifications outside of the UK then we will require a Statement of Comparability to confirm your eligibility for the scheme. Please ensure you obtain one during the application process, through UK NARIC: https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/
• You have a deep interest in maintenance and solid willingness to become a multi-skilled technician in both electrical and mechanical disciplines,
• You have a desire to learn practical workshop / tool usage skills,
• You are able to read, understand and communicate in English, interact and engage comfortably with people at all levels of the business,
• You have a desire to learn how to fault find and repair automation systems and machinery,
• You can follow a list of guidelines and instructions (verbal or written) to deliver results and meet deadlines,
• You have a hands-on attitude, flexible, adaptable and proactive,
• You aim to attain impeccable customer service, great customer facing skills,
• You seek and respond well to feedback,
• Experience (or a willingness to learn and practice) working to appropriate health & safety standards and regulations.
• You have flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements.
These will be a plus for your career at Amazon but are not necessary to enter the program.
• You are able to operate in a complex and fast paced environment,
• You have 5 Scottish Standards (or equivalent) at Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent), including Maths, English and a science/technology subject,
• You are studying towards a BTEC Level 3 National qualification or equivalent in an Engineering subject or studying for 'A' levels with a bias toward science and technology.
All our apprenticeships are paid. Compensation may vary by program and location, but is always competitive.
Your recruitment process will start with your online application (providing your CV as well as answering questions about the above basic qualifications) and will then take you onto online testing and video interviewing on a platform called Hirevue.
As a last step, we will invite suitable candidates to an assessment center where they will visit the fulfillment center, participate in a group exercise, carry out a practical exercise (if on-site only) and get a chance to present their profile, motivation and skills 1-on-1 during interviews.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT - 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).