We are Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service). We're an independent public body that provides trusted guidance and best practice services to both employers and employees to help businesses flourish. And when things go wrong, our conciliators help to resolve disputes whether there's one person involved or a larger dispute that involves unions. We provide free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law. We support good relationships between employers and employees which underpin business success
All the services provided by Acas are independent, impartial and confidential. An overview of Acas' full range of services is available here: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1342
Acas is staffed by Civil Servants
Purpose of the role:
• This post requires the job holder to be a motivated, self-starter, supporting the work of the DEC Supervisor, working with a small team maintaining the commitments under the service level agreement, and supporting the functions of the case management system with occasional assistance to the Business Support Function and Area Director.
• These operations include assessing incoming post received from Employment Tribunal Offices, customers and returned mail, assigning daily tasks, overseeing the scanning function and dealing with stakeholders, both internal and external. Occasionally other duties may involve; making the necessary arrangements for training events and meetings, hospitality, bookings, preparation of training materials and record keeping. Business support including ordering stationery, maintaining spreadsheet records, print and post services of all outgoing Phoenix correspondence, secretarial support to meetings and to the Area Director. All in accordance with the local service level agreement
To provide a full range of support to the DEC under the supervision and guidance of the DEC Supervisor to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the DEC. Undertake Business support duties and responsibilities for the East Midlands Area including secretarial support to the Area Director when needed.
Key Areas (areas that contribute significantly to the achievement of the job purpose):
• To support the DEC Supervisor in ensuring the effective and efficient operation of the DEC in respect of volumes and quality.
• Support the DEC Supervisor in ensuring that appropriate standards are set and maintained in line with the DEC Service Level Agreement and that timely and effective training, coaching and mentoring is provided for the DEC agency staff.
• Maintaining management information systems to ensure that accurate data is available about how the DEC is functioning.
• Ensure that any equipment and/or software application faults are reported immediately and facilitate prompt resolution as necessary
• To help ensure a good operational fit between the DEC and the rest of the business maintaining regular formal and informal communications with internal/external stakeholders to facilitate the consistent service provision, particularly the individual conciliation function, the Central Allocations Team (CAT) and the Phoenix Support team and the Employment Tribunal Service (ETS).
• Liaising with customers and staff in a polite, dignified and respectful manner responding to their needs and priorities in line with the local Service level Agreement. Working closely with all teams to maintain good working relationships.
• Provide hands on support to the DEC function, undertaking full DEC duties and responsibilities when necessary.
Occasional additional duties when DEC work is on target with SLA’s.
• Answering calls promptly taking accurate messages and communicating them to the appropriate recipient promptly
• Making necessary arrangements for meetings/events ensuring that rooms and venues are booked, catering arrangements are made and venues are appropriately set up and service accordingly.
• Check and maintain the local data base of meeting rooms and email groups in respect of Training events and the National print and post function.
• Accurately producing all materials in advance of events including associated recording of information and subsequently action evaluation documentation in a timely manner.
• Monitoring and maintaining appropriate stationery levels and subsequent expenditure records to assist in budgetary control.
• Monitoring, requesting and maintaining corporate manslaughter documents.
• Recording and processing invoices, expenses claims and any HR forms.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• This post requires a person who can work as part of a small team as well as being able to work using own initiative. Good Customer Service skills including a responsive, helpful and professional manner. Good communication skills (written and verbally). Strong planning and organisational skills to work to tight deadlines and manage own workloads. An excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Software i.e. Word, Excel. Occasional flexibility on working days and times also required.