Up to £45,000 per annum depending on experience
36 hours 15 minutes per week
Job Ref: 18\266
Citizens Advice, based in Central London near St Paul's, are expanding our software engineering team. We require a Database Ops Engineer who will report to our Lead Database Ops Engineer.
This is an exciting time as you will have an opportunity to assist in the direction of this important national charity as the team is scaled up. We have a number of exciting internally and externally customer facing digital projects with opportunities for R&D Fridays and creative thinking.
We help change millions of people's lives each year. And we need your help to make even more difference.
Why should I choose Citizens Advice?
- A competitive salary, 26 days paid holiday (on top of public holidays) plus 4 closure days, up to 6.5% employer pension contributions.
- The technology - it's always the latest stuff and forward looking. We are full AWS and deployed Google Enterprise for work across all 6 of our core offices in the UK.
- Developer's kit. Every developer has a Macbook Pro and whatever else we can provide to help you get the job done.
- Our great digital products help more than 22m users a year to solve their problems, and make a proven difference in people's lives.
- Our office is open plan and a great place to work.
- We will invest in your personal technical development to keep your skills sharp and encourage you to attend conferences covering the latest techniques to improve yourself and the team.
- We are flexible with one or two days of remote working from home.
- We recognise the benefits of R&D time and opportunity to work on Alpha products.
What's our tech:
We spend a lot of time picking and refining the right tools:
- Our tech stack currently includes Ruby on Rails, React.js, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Docker, AWS (cloudFormation, Ec2, S3, CloudFront, Chef et al).
- We have a road map for continuous deployments.
- We use GitHub, Atlassian, Slack, Google Hangouts et al to stay organised and in touch.
- We are fully agile, daily stand ups, sprints with full BDD/TDD.
What do we expect from you:
- In-depth knowledge of and exposure to open source technologies, practices and tools. Ability to develop, support and maintain automation tools to drive database / reporting / maintenance tasks.
- In-depth knowledge of AWS RDS, SQL/Admin against DBMS's such as PostgreSql / MySQL / SQL Server, Dynamo / Aurora.
- Data Warehousing, ETL, DB Mirroring/Replication, and DB Security Mechanism & Techniques.
- Effective use of database constraints, indexes, table partitioning and data compression.
- Understanding of GDPR and the Data Protection Act regarding the storage and use of Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data.
- Ability to support and maintain large databases.
- Experience of BI user report generation, SSRS reports, SSIS packages and BI system configuration.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- An ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Experience working on technical projects within a team.
- Ability to commit to and work within the aims, principles and policies of the Citizens Advice service.
Citizens Advice values diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We encourage and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic people, as they are currently under represented in our workforce.
Closing date: 20th February 2019
Interview date: TBC