Duties & Responsibilities
As the UK’s most successful omni-channel retailer, e-commerce is a key part of our business - we run one of the busiest websites in the UK, driving a significant proportion of our sales. Our engineering practice includes 30+ teams, working on everything from Cloud platforms to mobile apps, from e-commerce functionality to machine learning.
This is an opportunity to work as a Data engineer on a cross-functional Agile development team, developing solutions at the UK's most successful omni-channel retailer. You will be working collaboratively with other highly skilled engineers as well as Data Scientists, BAs, Testers on technically challenging customer-facing projects.
Learning new skills is extremely important to us. You would be expected to constantly improve your engineering skills and keep up to date with the latest technologies and techniques. In return for your commitment you will receive the support and resources needed to achieve your learning goals.
*Please note that within the John Lewis Partnership, this role will be known as Product Engineer ITL4*
Ideal candidates will have excellent SQL/Python skills with a track record of working in teams delivering complex, performant, high quality software. Successful candidates will have passion for using technology to deliver outstanding and innovative software solutions.
*Please refer to attached job description for further information regarding duties and requirements*
Required essential experience skills and qualifications
- Experience of working in a Data Engineer role in a complex environment.
- Advanced SQL.
- Working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Strong Python skills.
- Building and optimising ‘big data’ data pipelines and data sets.
- Performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Developing mission critical, high availability systems.
- TDD, pair programming.
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery.
- Code deployment in complex environments.
- REST API development and/or consumption.
- Agile development methods such as Scrum or Kanban.
Required desirable experience skills and qualifications
- Experience of working with the GCP stack, in particular Cloud Composer (Apache airflow), Cloud.
- Storage and Data-Flow (Apache beam).
- GCP Certification.
- Network/Internet security.