Duties & Responsibilities
As the UK’s most successful omni-channel retailer, e-commerce is a key part of our business - we run one of the busiest websites in the UK, driving a significant proportion of our sales. Our engineering practice includes 30+ teams, working on everything from Cloud platforms to mobile apps, from e-commerce functionality to machine learning.
This is an opportunity to work as a software engineer specialising in UI development on a cross-functional Agile development team. You will be working collaboratively with other highly skilled web developers as well as full stack Java developers, BAs, Testers, Web Designers and User Experience specialists on challenging customer-facing projects.
Learning new skills is extremely important to us. You would be expected to constantly improve your engineering skills and keep up to date with the latest technologies and techniques. In return for your commitment you will receive the support and resources needed to achieve your learning goals.
*Please note that within the John Lewis Partnership, this role will be known as Product Engineer ITL4*
*Please refer to attached job description for further information regarding duties and requirements*
Required essential experience skills and qualifications
- Experience of structuring a JS codebase into modules for ease of testing as well as appropriate encapsulation and separation of concerns
- Professional experience of React.js. Experience of templating language such as mustache/handlebars.js.
- Accessibility best practice
- Knowledge of SEO best practice.
- TDD, pair programming.
- Agile development methods such as Scrum or Kanban
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
- Code deployment in complex environments.
- REST API development and/or consumption
Required desirable experience skills and qualifications
- Any Server side development languages such as Java
- Microservice Architectures
- Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform
- Go CD, Gitlab CI
- Tools such as Sketch/Zeplin
- Understanding of UX principles