Duties & Responsibilities
This is an opportunity to work as an Engineering Lead at the UK’s most successful Omnichannel Retailer. We are creating a team of Engineering Leads who will ensure engineering excellence is at the core of everything we do.
As an Engineering Lead you will use your up to date knowledge, hands-on experience and thought leadership to ensure engineering teams are creating outstanding solutions using the best engineering techniques. This will be a complex task as there are c30 engineering teams and this will continue to grow. You will also have a leading role in sharing knowledge and ideas across all engineering teams and helping to develop the skills of our in-house software engineers.
*Please note that within the John Lewis Partnership, this role is known as a Product Engineer*
This is a hands-on role and Engineering Leads will spend at least 3 - 4 days per week working as a lead developer in an engineering team. Engineering teams typically consist of 2-4 developers, a product owner, a QA engineer, UX/Design specialist and a business analyst. The other time will spent working with our wider engineering community to move our engineering capability forward and helping teams to improve their engineering practices.
As well as working collaboratively with highly skilled software engineers you will also influence a wide range of other stakeholders such as Architects, Product Managers, Operations Managers and Programme Managers.
Required essential experience skills and qualifications
- Extensive experience of working in at least one of the following technology areas using
the latest techniques:
- Java Development, although we actually use Kotlin
- UI Development
- iOS App Development
- Cloud Infrastructure development. We use GCP.
- Data Engineering. We use BigQuery and Google Cloud Storage.
- Continuous Delivery of complex applications.
- Engineering techniques such as TDD, pair programming.
- Design practices such as DDD, BDD and Evolutionary Design.
- Object Oriented and tiered design methodologies.
- Code deployment in complex environments.
- Agile/Lean methods such as Kanban or Scrum.
- Experience of Microservices Architectures would be beneficial.