Senior Service Designer
Do you believe in improving lives through data and technology? Do you enjoy uncovering user needs to understand complex problems?
NHS Digital’s Product Development team is growing, and we are looking for a Senior Service Designerto join our team.This role is available in either Leeds or London.
We craft products and services – such as the NHS website, the NHS App and NHS login - that are useful, inclusive, easy to use and deliver better outcomes for the people that use them. We make sure people are at the heart of our work, whether it’s supporting the digital transformation of cancer or cervical screening programmes, or designing and delivering the technology that has supported the response to COVID-19.
You will have an inclusive, user-centred approach and will enjoy adapting and learning at pace. You will be welcomed into a supportive design community with plenty of opportunity to collaborate and problem-solve with colleagues in NHS Digital and partners across the health and care system. And you will see real outcomes. The work you do will have an impact on a national scale, helping our NHS achieve amazing things for patients and health and care staff.
As a Senior Service Designer you will be responsible for:
- Leading the design work for new services and enable improvements to existing ones.
- Developing designs to meet proven user needs and achieve agreed outcomes.
- Interpreting evidence-based research and incorporating this into your work.
- Supporting the values and standards of inclusive and accessible design.Communicating ideas clearly and simply.
- Influencing colleagues and senior stakeholders, with clear rationale for your design decisions
- Reviewing the work of others constructively.
Some of the key skills and experience you'll bring:
- Experience of working as a senior designer supporting several product teams at the same time.
- Experience of using user-centred design practices for real life situations and applications
- Ability to create prototypes for use in research, and document your thinking and findings for colleagues and stakeholders
- Significant experience in a designer role, equivalent to Master’s level or similar qualification.
- Professional design qualification, for example in Service Design, Interaction Design, Human-Centred Design, Ergonomics, etc.
- Experience or qualifications demonstrating skills in design applications.
Not quite what you are looking for?
This is an exciting time to join our Design team as we have different roles available.
We are also currently looking for a Lead Service Designer : https://jobs.digital.nhs.uk/vacancies/103/lead-service-designer.html
Please feel free to take a look and recommend others to the roles we have available.
Sign up for our job alerts too so we can share with you when more roles become available.
NHS Digital is a great place to work. What we do matters.
Our outstanding teams are passionate about technology and public service, making use of everyone’s skills to improve people’s lives.
We collaborate to deliver world class tech and intelligence, come and join us. We are committed to sustainability, diversity and inclusion; our people are at the heart of what we do.
Find out about the amazing work we do by visiting our website: https://digital.nhs.uk/about-nhs-digital/our-work
Find further information on the current work we are undertaking meeting the challenges of the pandemic here: https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus
What we offer
In addition to a competitive salary with planned, transparent progression you can look forward to the following benefits:
- 27 days annual leave entitlement increasing with service
- Buy and sell annual leave scheme
- Contributory Pension (with a 20.6% contribution from us toward the cost of your pension)
- Flexible working opportunities - we value and respect the diversity of our employees, and applications from prospective candidates who require flexible working arrangements are welcomed
- A range of NHS Discounts covering, for example, shops, restaurants, gym, mobile phones and insurance
- Employee benefit schemes which include Season Ticket Loan and Car Lease
For more information visit our Working at NHS Digital page.
Remote interviews will take place week commencing 31st of May. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by email.